Saturday, February 11, 2017

Why Have One Workbench When You Can Have Two?

So the corner in the back of my garage is kind sad. I put up some pegboard and thought that meant I was organized. But the cruddy table I was using wasn't doing it and the new workbench I made (which I LOVE) was not the best place to build certain items because the garage itself is not level.*




I did not have plans, I decided to "wing it". An idea I do not recommend. I measured 20" from the floor so I could slide my shop vac under, but set the top of the bottom shelf at 20"... dumb. It wasn't until I was sweeping up tonight that I realized what I'd done. We really do learn from our mistakes!



It's been raining a lot lately and the wood was wet. I've had it drying in the garage for about four days, but it's still not dry. My circular saw did not like cutting through it. I made it work. The support posts were a bitch to cut, but I think they give it a very sturdy look. There are so many screws in that thing (I love overkill!).

My Kreg Jig worked flawlessly--I love that bad boy! And all my Ryobi tools were perfect!


The red carpeting is from my camping days.**  I used it to kneel on so I didn't destroy my knees any more than they already are.


It's level and that was my biggest concern. I did a little more work after these pictures, with the cross supports



The tops of the shelving go in tomorrow. The big problem will be cutting the wood around all the posts. Now that will involve some very careful planning...


*The structure is level, just the foundation sunk--I'm on a hill and the garage is at the bottom. When the house was remodeled, they also took care of the garage. I'd say it's about 70% new materials, with true walls and a level roof... it's the floor that's been a bother.

**More like glamping: The group I camped with had a full outdoor kitchen (with steam tables, and a butane powered oven), as well as a full bar! We used to feed over 100 guys breakfast and dinne! Since I needed power for my CPAP, I had an Aerobed and an electric blanket. I was also in a 10-man tent for just myself... I had a sitting area AND a dressing area near my sleeping area. We did camping right! 

Click HERE to see how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment